Pages - Menu

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Music and me


For as long as I can remember, music has been an integral part of my whole existence. The power music has on me is something I'm yet to understand. Sometimes, I feel there's a life force behind most songs I listen to. Usually, it scares me- yes, its that deep.


My daddy is literally a walking music encyclopaedia. His influences lean towards motown music, classical music, contemporary, hard rock, alrernative rock. When I was a child, he would usually blast any song by Sting and the Police as he washed the car on Saturdays while my little sister and I nodded away at the back. He made me fall in love with music that would be called quirky and highly unusual today. My sister usually did not understand his taste, but I soaked everything up like a sponge. I dont know if its because my daddy could do no wrong in my eyes (he still can't), but that memory has moulded my music palette into a very weird one.

To be honest I really don't understand or enjoy Nigerian music. Maybe it's because I don't go to clubs or because I dont hang out. I feel most of them are extremely noisy and give me horrible migraines. I do acknowledge that some are good. I love Tuface (like everybody else), Wizkid, and M.I. I could also throw a little bit of Flavor in and thats it. Others sound like empty vessels to me. Or maybe I haven't listened to many.

Lately I've been feeling so homesick and missing my family so much, remembering those long trips down to my hometown and dad would be playing the Eagles 'Hotel California' or some song by the Commodores. I would usually relieve the feeling by streaming most of those old songs my dad used to play and also discovering new (old) ones on Deezer. Sometimes the feeling ebbs, but sometimes it gets worse. I'm usually an emotional crap but....why don't they make good music like that anymore? Music that moves you, music that has soul?

I love the calm and serenity music provides me. I also love how angry and high it makes me too. Trying to understand music is just so hard. Like how I've been trying so hard to understand Yanni. Its not just coming.


If you don't make sense out of what I wrote up there, its ok. I really found it hard to put down my feelings. It just wasnt coming out right. Sorry

Xx Yol


No comments:

Blogs I love

Total Pageviews

Pages

About

Blogger templates

Blogger templates

Pages

Powered By Blogger