Pages - Menu

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hair banter


Hello beautiful people,

As much as it felt good to disapear from my blog for some time, it feels good to put something down. I,ve been neck deep in some very personal matters, and I needed all my energy in it.


As for my hair, its been on chill mode for such a long time. I feel so bad because I've neglected it for so long.      
The good news is that she'll finally have some jojoba oil her owner just recently purchased for her. Jojoba oil is the most recent addition to my collection of oils. According to vanityoils.com:


Source: the liquid wax produced in the seed of the jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis) plant 
Properties:
 similar to sebum; hypoallergenic; very stable; non-toxic; non-comedogenic; antioxidant; anti-bacterial 
Benefits:
 acne treatment; scalp cleansing; healing of scars; treats sunburn; relieves dry, itchy, flaky scalp; prevents heat damage; regulates oil production; restores elasticity and smoothness; promotes new cell growth; controls frizz 
Uses:
 moisturizer; make-up remover; lip balm; hair conditioner; massage oil; shaving prep; cuticle oil; deep conditioner 

So I can't wait to benefit from this amazing 8oz baby on my hair and body. This weekend, I plan to use it to pre-poo instead of my regular mix of coconut and oilive oils. I may also add my tea tree and pepper mint oils. I prefer to use only these two as my esential oils because of their combined anti fungal, anti bacterial, scalp soothing benefits. 

I love to pre poo so much, because I have discovered it greatly helps loosen up dirt and soothe my scalp especially when I am doing a full blown wash. It also helps prevent hygral fatigue and mechanical damage to the hair strands (as a result of washing). Typically I will pre poo my hair for about 30 minutes, before I proceed to the main wash.

I also plan to resume tea rinses and Apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinses. When I first big chopped, I was so eager to try everything natural heads regularly do. So I used to tea rinse and ACV rinse like mad. My hair was too short for me to actually figure out if the rinses were having any effect on my hair. Now I have about 6 inches of hair (yaaay for length retention) I'll resume them. Tea rinses are supposed to help seal the hair cuticles after washing thereby helping with prevention of moisture loss and preventing frizz. Normally I would  steep 2 bags of black tea (lipton) in hot water and rinse my already washed and conditioned hair about three times and one final rinse with ACV. Its always advised to dilute ACV in water (2 parts water to 1 part ACV. Secondary school chemistry anyone?) because of its acidic nature.



Can I just give two thumbs down for salons in Lagos that claim to cater for 'natural hair'? Good Lord I should have known better. Last month I had to get a weave done and I had no time to prep my hair first. So the salon claimed to have the genius touch with natural heads and how naturals from as far as Ikorodu would come to them (in Surulere) to get their hair done. 

allvoices.com this is NOT the salon I went to. hehehe
After about 20 minutes of convincing, I decided to give the guy a try, plus I needed to get my hair steamed. EPIC FAIL!, and it didnt even come cheap. The weave was great (that's all Lag salons know how to do), but my hair....I'm almost shedding tears here. I could feel the poor baby begging me never to do this to here again. I swear she's been angry at me ever since. So...never again! I'll continue doing my hair myself, thank you very much!

Lastly, I'm officially 1 year natural today. WHOOP!! 

Till next time, 
 Yol

5 comments:

KC Ezeagwu said...

Have ur roasted 'K'

Anonymous said...

Heard a lot bout vanity oils I think I'll try them out.

Yolanda said...

Yea they have so many oils to try out. Might be pricey, but you'll be paying for quality stuff :)

Unknown said...

I've searched for jojoba oil all my life. Pls where can I buy one. Am in d east.

Yolanda said...

Please visit vanityoils.com. I'm sure they ship nation wide. That's where I purchased mine from

Blogs I love

Total Pageviews

Pages

About

Blogger templates

Blogger templates

Pages

Powered By Blogger